For YA & Adult Readers!

Monday, April 9, 2012

{Review} The One That I Want by Jennifer Echols

The One That I Want

By Jennifer Echols
Publication Date: December 16, 2011
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Imprint: Simon Pulse
Source/Format: Author/Paperback
Gemma can’t believe her luck when the star football player starts flirting with her. Max is totally swoon-worthy, and even gets her quirky sense of humor. So when he asks out her so-called best friend Addison, Gemma’s heartbroken.Then Addison pressures Gemma to join the date with one of Max’s friends. But the more time they all spend together, the harder Gemma falls for Max. She can’t help thinking that Max likes her back—it’s just too bad he’s already dating Addison. How can Gemma get the guy she wants without going after her best friend’s boyfriend?
PURCHASE: AMAZON | B&N | POWELL'S

Review

The One That I Want is a romantic comedy written as only the brilliant Jennifer Echols can.

Gemma is an exceptional majorette, self-conscious about her weight and struggling with relationships in her life. Meeting Max right before her sophomore year begins seems to be a bright spot in her otherwise cloudy summer, until she discovers he’s going on a date with her best friend, Addison…and she’s going on a date with his best friend, Max.

Sounds like soap opera drama, doesn’t it?

The One That I Want put me in bright spirits as soon as I started reading. Gemma, Addison, Max and Carter didn’t always get along and their interactions felt really authentic. I couldn’t get enough of Gemma’s humor. I could just picture her delivering the punch lines with the most sarcastic smile. Despite his proven ability to make girls mad at him, Mr. Kichirou Maximilian Hirayama had a way of lightning up the story and causing the cheesiest grins to spread across my face. Max is Japanese and had the cutest way of asking Gemma, “Do I look foreign in this?” I practically swooned every time!

High school probably would’ve been a mediocre experience for Gemma had she not found her calling – baton twirling as a majorette. I never had the desire to learn baton or tryout for majorette, but Echols made the sport fun and sassy, not at all like I believed it to be. My first impression of Gemma was that she was a tough girl that didn’t care what anyone thought of her and always stood up for herself. Truly, Gemma hid behind her purple streaked hair and second hand clothing and did things to keep other people happy. She changed so much throughout the story that her conscious efforts were practically tangible. I could feel when Gemma was going to take a stand and take what she wanted.

Jennifer Echols has taken a rare situation and turned it into a story brimming with love and big personalities. The One That I Want is a fast-paced young adult contemporary romance that will never get old.

Connect with Jennifer: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads

Jennifer Echols' Other Romantic Comedies:


 

1 comment:

  1. This book sounds like fun! I don't read a ton of contemps but I like a good one every now and again. Great review!
    NC
    Truly Bookish

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! I appreciate any feedback and all comments!

Social Profiles

Twitter Facebook Google Plus Instagram RSS Feed Email Pinterest

Current Giveaway

More to come!

Follow by Email

Followers

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Copyright © Lovey Dovey Books | Powered by Blogger
Design by Lizard Themes | Blogger Theme by Lasantha - PremiumBloggerTemplates.com
Lovey Dovey Books is a participant in affiliate advertising programs (Amazon, Kobo) designed to provide a means for this site to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com and Kobo.com