For YA & Adult Readers!

Friday, May 25, 2012

{Review}: Blackwood by Gwenda Bond

Blackwood

by Gwenda Bond
Publication Date: September 4, 2012
Publisher: Angry Robot: Strange Chemistry
Source: Netgalley
Pages: 416

On Roanoke Island, the legend of the 114 people who mysteriously vanished from the Lost Colony hundreds of years ago is just an outdoor drama for the tourists, a story people tell. But when the island faces the sudden disappearance of 114 people now, an unlikely pair of 17-year-olds may be the only hope of bringing them back.

Miranda, a misfit girl from the island’s most infamous family, and Phillips, an exiled teen criminal who hears the voices of the dead, must dodge everyone from federal agents to long-dead alchemists as they work to uncover the secrets of the new Lost Colony. The one thing they can’t dodge is each other.

Blackwood is a dark, witty coming of age story that combines America’s oldest mystery with a thoroughly contemporary romance.

Review

Blackwood is a hauntingly mysterious read that gave me chills from the moment I began reading. Gwenda Bond's debut novel captured my interest as soon as I recognized the blast into history that fuels Blackwood's plot. I have to mention how much I adore the cover because it's always a plus when a book's cover allows me to know the story before I've even started reading the story.

The characters of Blackwood are so likable that I couldn't help try to solve the mystery with them as they uncovered the tragedy befalling their small town. Miranda Blackwood, Battle Star Galactica and frequent 'frak' fan, was so alone in her pain and need to leave the town she's doomed to reside. Phillips Rawling was no better off, taking on the bad boy role to escape the whispers he inherited. Together, Phillips and Miranda were unstoppable. I loved seeing how they reacted and responded to each other. It was almost as if they forged a bond that kept them sane through all the madness they experienced. Both characters were more than what they appeared to be and diving deeper into the story proves so.

Blackwood's tone is dark and eerie despite the occasional bouts of laughter Phillips and Miranda conspired from me. I didn't expect much of what happens in the story and it took some time for me to twist and wrap my brain around some of the events. The Lost Colony legend is not one I've heard much about before and I love how Bond infuses it into a contemporary setting. Blackwood has pretty much shaken what my idea of a supernatural mystery is and I'm anticipating the next novel from Gwenda Bond.

Add Blackwood on Goodreads.

32 comments:

  1. Great review. I have this one to read on Netgalley. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Enjoy if you get to read the early version :)

      Delete
  2. I've heard nice things about Blackwood and I love your review. Delving into The Lost Colony mystery is an interesting idea for a story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds very interesting! I hope I win a copy, and if not, I will consider buying it! Thanks for this review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank You this sounds like an interesting book.Hope to win.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Review! Now I really want to get my hands on this book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I happened onto this book by accident and I am so greatful I did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a most facinating book; from the intreguing & eye-catching front cover to the most interesting plot that i have herd of for this particular genre! I love young adult fiction and 'Blackwood' sounds utterly unique & origonal and something which i am adding to my to-read list immediately. Thank you for a fantastic review that is most insightful x

    ReplyDelete
  8. 4/5 sounds promising! Thanks for the lovely review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds so good!! I have always been loved the Roanoke story. SOunds like a great twist on it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book sounds so good! I can't wait to read it! Thanks for the awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. great review!!!
    i want to read this book too ( if i have it :p)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could see how the plot to this story could take several twists and turns based upon the hypotheses of the real Lost Colony. This sounds like it could be an interesting read...

    ReplyDelete
  13. nice riview..i cant wait to reading this books..putting it in my TBR..
    thanks for your riview ^^

    ReplyDelete
  14. I got this book via NETgalley and really like the mystery of the missing! I hadn't heard about the legend either. I'm curious how this will end.

    ReplyDelete
  15. As a frequent Visitor to the Outer Banks I've seen the Lost Colony presentation numerous times. I love the idea of this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, cool! I've never experienced it, but I think you'd really enjoy how Gwenda depicts The Lost Colony presentation.

      Delete
  16. Wow... this book is about a whole group of people who just vanished?? OMG I need to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great review! The mystery of this book makes me excited to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome storyline! I had to Google The Lost Colony to find out its history. This book sounds like a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great review! I can't wait to reaD it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oooooo...a supernatural mystery! I'm hooked...thanks for a great review! I'm ready to read it now!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Haunting supernatural mystery - my kind of book! :D
    It's a must read! :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Supernatural Mystery? Two of my favorite genre's :) Looks like a great read! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can't wait to read this book! It sounds amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dark & eerie? Sounds like my type of book =) x

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've never heard of the Blackwood legend, and it's probably better so if I'm going to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have never heard of this but now I am really would like to read this. "legend of the 114 people who mysteriously vanished from the Lost Colony hundreds of years ago" is what first caught my attn then the fact that Angry Robot is the Publisher (Angry Robot reminds me of the TV show "Lost" which I am watching right now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what drew me in too! I was actually unfamiliar with the publisher when I read Blackwood, but it's funny that it reminds you of "Lost"! Love that show :)

      Delete
  27. I've really been wanting to read a good mystery lately. And I love darker mysteries. The fact that it is still capable of eliciting laughter intrigues me. I definitely want to check it out!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! I appreciate any feedback and all comments!

Social Profiles

Twitter Facebook Google Plus Instagram RSS Feed Email Pinterest

Current Giveaway

More to come!

Follow by Email

Followers

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Copyright © Lovey Dovey Books | Powered by Blogger
Design by Lizard Themes | Blogger Theme by Lasantha - PremiumBloggerTemplates.com
Lovey Dovey Books is a participant in affiliate advertising programs (Amazon, Kobo) designed to provide a means for this site to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com and Kobo.com