For YA & Adult Readers!

Friday, June 22, 2012

{Author Interview}: Jill Cooper, author of The Dream Slayer

Avid readers know that most authors like to think outside the box for their next big story. Scroll through your 'to-read' list on Goodreads and notice how increasingly unique books are becoming. In today's interview with debut author Jill Cooper, who is indeed a 'think outside the box' author, learn why she writes for young adults and where her writing inspiration comes from.

Welcome to Lovey Dovey Books! It’s wonderful to have you here and we’d love for you to tell us 3 fun facts about yourself.

Thank you for having me. It’s a pleasure to be here and meet all of you! Three fun facts about me, who knew thinking up 3 fun facts could be challenging?
  • I’m a lefty. Every time I meet another lefty, I get excited. Lefties unite!
  • I’m obsessed with Hello Kitty. My kitchen alone has the Hello Kitty clock, toaster, and waffle iron. Next up is the pink hello kitty microwave. I even put a picture of it on my Facebook wall.
  • I’m a major gaming nerd! Currently playing in my ‘spare’ time Mass Effect 3, and the Knights of the Republi MMO. If only I could play as a droid, my life would be complete.
 
What has motivated you to write, especially for young adults?

That’s such an interesting question. I knew I had a very specific story I wanted to tell. Which is Girls of all shapes and sizes can be heroes, love themselves, and believe in themselves. I knew that was the theme I was working with.

As a young adult I wasn’t perfect and didn’t have the ideal body. I still don’t, but as a young adult that was really hard to deal with. It battered my self-esteem down and I felt like everyone was judging me. It took a long time for my self-confidence to grow and realize that I can love myself for who I am.My self-worth doesn’t come from my shape, size, clothes, or social status anymore. It comes from within.

Wow, did I just type that sentence? I feel so enlightened! Sprinkle in some danger, romance, and mystery and Dream Slayer was born. But it was important to me that it have a healthy message beneath all the fun.

The Dream Slayer has a very unique spin on dreams. Can you tell us how the concept of dreams meshing with reality came to you? 

I grew up with few friends just like Natalie does and when I would read or write sometimes I would daydream I was someone else. Sometimes I’d be a super spy, or I’d be popular and get to save someone’s life. It was always action packed and the idea grew from there. The dreams are so important to the story it dawned on me early they had to be the major plot line in this book. The idea came to me that the characters would exist in both worlds, albeit with different personalities. So, if something happened to you in the dream world, it also happened to you in the real world. And Volia, The Dream Slayer was born!  

Can you tell us about Natalie Johnson; something she may not want you to tell us? 

Natalie is a shy private girl so there are probably a lot of things she wouldn’t want shared. But her deepest, darkest secret would be Damien. The dark and mysterious boyfriend she imagined up for the Slayer. She has a huge epic crush on him and doodles his name in her notebook over and over again. If she could meet him in person, she probably would fawn all over him.  

What was your favorite part of writing The Dream Slayer?  

My favorite parts are the dream sequences which are part of Natalie Johnson’s imagination so anything can happen that she can dream up. So there are pop culture references and movies are brought to life in her town because she thinks it’s fun. People she knows become part of her dreams and play different roles. So it was fun taking someone or something and spinning it on its head into something new.

In that situation the only thing that limits what happens is my own imagination. It’s one of my favorite parts of any of The Dream Slayer novels.

Close second is when Natalie realizes she doesn’t have to be mousey and afraid if she doesn’t want to be. Gurl power to the tenth degree!
 

What do you do when you’re not writing? 

That is a hard question because I seem to be writing all the time! I’m an avid movie and television person. So at night I caught up with my DVR and Netflix. I never miss an episode of House. I’m still crying that they took 24 off the air! I have been known to also watch the Secret Circle and Ringer when no one is looking. So GOOD! I am working on a flower and veggie garden in my yard. And now that it’s summer you’ll catch me longing by my in ground pool with my favorite novel! Life is good and about celebration. That’s what I try to get out of my time when I am not tormenting my characters.  

Are you working on any upcoming projects? If so, can you tell us a little about them? 

Oh, yes, I always have a few projects going in the fire at a time. I’ll tell you a bit more about them. There’s The Dream Slayer sequel Demon Royale that involves a demonic queen and werewolves. It takes place during summer break so is a lot of fun before Natalie heads into her senior year at school. I’m hoping to have it out tail end of 2012. I’m working on a new YA novel, Fifteen Minutes, that involves time travel. A company allows you to go back in time for 15 minute increments to observe the past. Lara Crane has figured out to interact in the past and plans on using the system to save her mother from murder.When she gets back to the present, things don’t go exactly as planned. And there are these two boys… Lastly I’m working on an Urban fantasy thriller that involves a human sub-species being segregated from the rest of the population. It deals with racism, murder, manipulation, and love. It’s in its final stages and should be published this year.

Are there any parting words you’d like to leave with new fans and readers?

Thank you so much for your interest and reading this interview! The Dream Slayer comes from a place of love and fun. I hope everyone will enjoy it as much as I do.Anyone who wants to connect with me can find me on www.jillacooper.com and Facebook.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check back for my review of The Dream Slayer on June 25th! In the meantime, click the links below to learn more about the book, add it on Goodreads, and enter The Dream Slayer Giveaway (Ends 6/30)!


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for interviewing me, I had such a good time! It's great to be part of your great blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! I appreciate any feedback and all comments!

Social Profiles

Twitter Facebook Google Plus Instagram RSS Feed Email Pinterest

Current Giveaway

More to come!

Follow by Email

Followers

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Copyright © Lovey Dovey Books | Powered by Blogger
Design by Lizard Themes | Blogger Theme by Lasantha - PremiumBloggerTemplates.com
Lovey Dovey Books is a participant in affiliate advertising programs (Amazon, Kobo) designed to provide a means for this site to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com and Kobo.com