For YA & Adult Readers!

Monday, November 12, 2012

Review: The Wild Ones by M. Leighton

THE WILD ONES

by M. Leighton
Publication Date: August 1, 2012
Pages/Format: 330; Paperback, ebook
Source: eARC

Passion as hot as midnight in the South and love as wild as the horses they tame.

Camille “Cami” Hines is the darling daughter of the South’s champion thoroughbred breeder, Jack Hines. She has a pedigree that rivals some of her father’s best horses. Other than feeling a little suffocated at times, Cami thought she was pretty happy with her boyfriend, her life and her future. But that was before she met Patrick Henley. “Trick” blurs the lines between what Cami wants and what is expected of her. He’s considered the “help,” which is forbidden fruit as far as her father is concerned, not to mention that Trick would be fired if he ever laid a hand on her. And Trick needs his job. Desperately. His family depends on him. The heart wants what the heart wants, though, and Trick and Cami are drawn to each other despite the obstacles. At least the ones they know of. When Trick stumbles upon a note from his father, it triggers a series of revelations that could ruin what he and Cami have worked so hard to overcome. It turns out there’s more to Trick’s presence at the ranch than either of them knew, secrets that could tear them apart.
Purchase: Amazon | B&N
For all the hype surrounding The Wild Ones, I expected a unique, hard-hitting contemporary romance that would knock me out of this world. Instead, I experienced a mediocre romance that, although tempered with hot and spicy scenes, didn't wrap around my brain and stick with me long after reading the last word.

Cami is the daughter of a successful business man in the horse breeding business. Trick was on his way to college graduation when familial duties took him off his course. The two meeting in a crowded bar sets off a whirlwind relationship that takes many tears, and much heartbreak, to reach a blissful happy ending.

M. Leighton produces original premises that always draw me in, but the stories never fill me quite completely. Cami and Trick were the epitome of superficial attraction that set my teeth on edge over and over again. As soon as the story opened, I saw that it would be another tragic case of 'I only like you because you're hot'. I felt that there was no depth in their connection as both Cami and Trick danced a lustful tango throughout the novel. Neither of the two characters, whose thoughts we read in an alternating pattern, exhibited outstanding characteristics that warranted such an obvious display of instant attraction. I liked that Trick, at least, had direction in his passion for horses. It was something that grounded him and made him a more likable character.

While I found myself anxious to see where, and how, Cami and Trick's families collided, I could not find it within to invest myself in them. Something niggled in the back of my mind as I read, telling me that I should've been feeling some sort of sympathy or heartbreak for whatever complications were haunting this story's hero and heroine, but the characters' actions and attitudes just couldn't get me to care so much. Between the disappointing characterization and the juvenile dialogue, the only saving grace for The Wild Ones is the idea of a couple of inexperienced youths with enough gut to stand up and fight for their love.
*eARC provided in exchange for an honest review and blog tour purposes*

Add The Wild Ones to Goodreads
Connect with Michelle: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads
 

2 comments:

  1. aww, bummer u didn't like it. I actually won a copy of this book. I hope I find it more enjoyable than u did

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might! I'm very specific when it comes to romance and this one just didn't fit in with what I love about romance

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! I appreciate any feedback and all comments!

Social Profiles

Twitter Facebook Google Plus Instagram RSS Feed Email Pinterest

Current Giveaway

More to come!

Follow by Email

Followers

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Copyright © Lovey Dovey Books | Powered by Blogger
Design by Lizard Themes | Blogger Theme by Lasantha - PremiumBloggerTemplates.com
Lovey Dovey Books is a participant in affiliate advertising programs (Amazon, Kobo) designed to provide a means for this site to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com and Kobo.com