For YA & Adult Readers!

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Tour Review: Unmaking Hunter Kennedy by Anne Eliot

UNMAKING HUNTER KENNEDY

by Anne Eliot
After a car accident--an event he considers a prank gone bad--pop star, Hunter Kennedy is forced to hide out with his aunt in small-town Colorado. He’s supposed to rest, heal his scars and attend high school in disguise until the press dies down. But he only wants to get back to work.

Worse, the girl who’s been assigned to make him over into a geek is a major geek herself. Vere Roth is a chattering pixie, a blushing tornado and a complete social disaster. He’s never met a girl who’s never-been-kissed, believes in romance and thinks Hunter’s a 'nice' guy.

Funny thing is...Hunter is nice around Vere because she’s his first real friend. He also can’t seem to stop sharing his secrets or keep her out of his heart. Knowing he’d never deserve a girl as sweet as Vere, he resigns himself to the friend zone, and helps his new bestie with her own makeover.

She tortures him daily for ridiculous guy advice on how to snag her life-long crush. A guy Hunter thinks is totally wrong for Vere, and sadly, one who has taken note of Vere’s transformation.

When Vere asks her best friend for some kissing advice, Hunter can’t resist...

And that’s when things get out of control...
Though she remains within the lines of familiar themes, Anne Eliot offers readers something slightly different in her young adult romance. As soon as I began Unmaking Hunter Kennedy, I recognized it as a story that puts character and plot first, romance second. Hunter Kennedy is the lead singer of heartthrob band, GuardeRobe. When the fame and attention from adoring fans becomes too much and he tangles with a dark period, Hunter finds life-altering trouble. Hunter's mother hides him away from the limelight, hoping to help them both recover. A disguise and new, ultra-geeky persona should provide him with the cover to rest, but will it be enough for him to discover on who he truly is?

Vere and her brother Charlie are tasked with keeping Hunter's secret when he's whisked to a small town in Colorado. Here is where the subplot comes into place. Vere enlists Hunter's help in getting over her extreme shyness with boys, particularly Curtis the crush of all crushes. I didn't think the two plots meshed well the deeper into the story I got. It seemed like too much was going on and my attention was being diverted too far from the central plot surrounding Hunter and his depression. While Vere added a light, humorous tone to the novel I just thought her issue was over-exaggerated and inconsequential compared to Hunter's trauma.

Unmaking Hunter Kennedy goes beyond superficial teenage romance where attraction stems solely from appearance. When Hunter and Vere connect it goes beyond the surface to their personalities and admirable characteristics. Despite the long-winded, and sometimes redundant moments of a character's reflections, I appreciate that Eliot digs deeper into some of the serious issues teens face. Family, depression, insecurity, it's all there. Entertaining with a touch of serious, Unmaking Hunter Kennedy is one to look into.
*Ebook provided in exchange for an honest review*

Publication Date: October 2012
Pages/Format: 422; Paperback, ebook
Amazon--B&N

Reviewed in conjunction with:

14 comments:

  1. Candace! Thanks for posting me on your blog. So appreciated and you are very kind. It's been an honor. xo xo Annie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome! I'll be keeping my eye out for more stories from you! :)

      Delete
  2. I loved this story - so many layers! Each character has issues to overcome before they can find their HEA. I highly recommend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book so much! The characters were so real! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindi, and I agree that the character have that certain 'real' appeal to them!

      Delete
  4. What a fun blog and great review. I've read this one and it's a fantastic, don't-want-to-put-it-down love story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle, I couldn't put it down either, actually. I just had to find out whether everything would unravel or would Hunter make a move on Vere! Kind of nerve-wracking :)

      Delete
  5. Hmm. This really sounds like a book that I would like, LOL! But I'm not so sure, now that you've said that romance is on the back burner...eh. I'll read it anyway. Fab review, girly! (:

    Loves,
    Megan@The Book Babe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, you should go for it! I'm not saying that the romance is second, as in on the back burner, but you get to know the characters and what's going on before romance makes a serious play in the storyline. It's varying degrees of romantic all the way through. Enjoy!

      Delete
  6. I loved this book! Almost was such a good book, too but Vere really spoke to me! Thanks for the review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I have ALMOST on my kindle. For some reason I didn't make the connection to Anne's name. I better finally read it then :)

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the review. I just finished this one and was really impressed how the author dealt with the all-too-real issues of depression in teenagers. Eliot does a great job of mixing the real social issues in with light-hearted humor and makes you fall in love with her characters. This is one I would recommend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennie, you and I are on the same page! Thanks for your comment :)

      Delete
  8. I agree. I like how this book goes deeper about teen issues. Great review.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! I appreciate any feedback and all comments!

Social Profiles

Twitter Facebook Google Plus Instagram RSS Feed Email Pinterest

Current Giveaway

 photo EntTeen-UrbanBattleEpic300x300opt2_zpsiez6labv.jpg
#TeamUrban vs. #TeamEpic Fantasy Prize Pack

Follow by Email

Followers

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Copyright © Lovey Dovey Books | Powered by Blogger
Design by Lizard Themes | Blogger Theme by Lasantha - PremiumBloggerTemplates.com